- As people desired Dr. Arvind Kumar Sharma contested election as an independent candidate from Sonipat parliamentary constituency in 1996 and won with the good margin due to his constant grass root level, touch with the farmers, dalits, downtrodden, students, women, educationalist, intellectuals. He had a stable and sizeable votebank belonging to all the section and castes in Sonipat constituency. He did not owe allegiance to any established political party for his victory. In 1999 he joined the Congress Party of Haryana. Availability of portable water was solved to a large extent by sinking hand pumps / tube wells by use of own financial and technical resources. Stoppage of few trains were made at Sonipat.
- Campaigned in Haryana Assembly Elections 2000 covering assembly segments : Gohana, Safidon, Julana, Kailana, Rai, Rohat, Baroda of Sonipat Parliamentary Constituency.
- Campaigned in Haryana Assembly Election 2000 covering assembly segments : Kiloi, Bahadurgarh, Hassangarh, Beri, Jhajjar, Meham of Rohtak Parliamentary constituency.
- Campaigned in Haryana Assembly constituency 2000 from Narwana.
- Appointed as an Central Election Observer by AICC for Delhi State Assembly Election in 2003.
- In 2004 he contested the election from Karnal Constituency and defeated his rival again by a record vote.
During his tenure he worked hard for the welfare of people and development of the area. Nearly Rs. 20 to 25 crores was given as Financial Aid for the development, funds from District Development Plan, special Development Scheme and Haryana Rural Development Fund Scheme and also from Member of Parliament Local Area Development Scheme (MPLADS) were used to built Street, Chaupal, Community Centre to build the boundary around Cremation Grounds. Funds were also utilized to build Anganwaris.To provide safe drinking waters and to convert muddy pathways into cemented roads in the area. During this tenure the most cited work was Elevated Flyover in Panipat and the problem of traffic jam was released.
He never indulged in caste politics and served all the Chattis Biradarees. As a committed young leader he continued serving the poor downtrodden the farmers and minorities. His doors always open 24 hours for his people and every one was welcomed anytime. Every visitor was attended with social courtesy no matter whatever time, Atithi Devo Bhava truly cite as his home.
- He was the Ex-Member of Indian Council of Medical Research 2004.
- Ex-Member of Consultative Committee on Petroleum & Natural Gas 2004.
- Ex- Member of Standing Committee on External Affairs 2004.
- Ex- Member of Railways Committee 2004.
- In 2009 he again won the election from Karnal Parliamentary Constituency, people acknowledge his good deed and services. He is the Member of Parliament till date from Congress.
- Standing Committee of Health and Family Welfare
- Central Committee of Tuberculosis Association of India
- Indian Council of Nursing
- Consultative Committee of Tuberculosis Association of India
- The India-Lao PDR Parliamentary Friendship Group
- Committee on Absence of Members for Sittings of House
- Hindi Salahkar Samiti for the Deptt. Of Economic Affairs